I cannot tell you how many times I have read Bill W’s story in the Big Book. I have read, re-read and participated in Big Book groups and discussed this chapter. I always take away something different when I read Bill’s Story. It’s almost like the Power’s That Be decided highlight different parts of the story depending on what is going on in my life. This morning I skimmed the chapter again, pondered on what I would write about and decided to emphasize the 5 things that popped out at me.
1. “Why don’t you choose your own conception of God?”
2. “Belief in the power of God, plus enough willingness, honesty and humility to etablish and maintain the new order of things, were the essential requirements.”
3. “My friend had emphasized the absolute necessity of demonstrating these principles in all my affairs.”
4. It is imperative to work with others as he had worked with me.
5. “Faith without works was dead”